Friday 7 March 2008

Hats off to Delia Derbyshire.

It's rare to find someone with a genuine passion and intelligence for what he or she does. I am currently listening to a radio play on BBC 7 about the aforementioned lady and feel that she deserves a mention. I don't suppose that many people read what I have read, but it feels good to put it out into the void that is cyberspace. What an insightful woman she was. I wish I had half as much mathematical intelligence and creativity as she did. I was gutted to find that she died in 2001. I have always wanted to understand the language that is mathematics but have always found it so challenging. If there are people out there who do not know of her, please visit http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/2001/jul/07/guardianobituaries1
She arranged the original theme of Doctor Who, written by Ron Grainger. Amazing lady.

6 comments:

Meredith Soames said...

If I had a penny for everyone who thought I wrote the theme for Dr Who I would have seventeen shillings and sixpence by now.
Alas I didn't write it, but Ron Grainer did.

Warm Regards, Ron Grainger

specky6eyes said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Meredith Soames said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
specky6eyes said...

My apologies for adding a letter to Ron Grainer's name and coming up with your's; I must have been a little over-enthusiastic with the keyboard. How irritating it must be for you, Mr Grainger, to be confused with Mr Grainer. I'm appalled at my error and am now hanging my head in shame.

Meredith Soames said...

You are too funny.

Yep, since I was in short trousers I have been accosted in airports, bars, and public lavatories and told I wrote the Dr Who theme. Once, a middle-aged matron from Tunbridge Wells got really irate when I denied it and insisted I most definitely did. When I said that Grainer fellow is the famous composer she insisted that there were two composers Grainer and Grainger; he wrote the other stuff and I wrote the Dr Who theme. I had to shoot her in the end.

specky6eyes said...

I hope you meant that you took her photograph rather than...

Oh well, I'm sure she deserved it! I know these middle aged matron-types; always right... not like me of course! ;-)