Thursday 14 February 2008

UK - A New Depression?

The UK is not a good place to live right now. I guess it would be easy to blame Golden Brown, or the labour government (deliberate small case), but I'm not sure what any other government would be able to do. I am only 37, but can see the demise of morals, of knowing right from wrong, of the change in priorities of most in society, etc. What is it with this celebrity worship? Who cares what Britney Spears is up to? Why is Big Brother so popular? Who cares what brand of clothing people are wearing? I am scared for my 14 year-old daughter; for the World she will be entering when she is grown. I would emigrate in an instant, were it not for my ties to my family and friends. They are so important to me. It is a shame that the UK government pay such a lot of money for my nurse training, yet there is little incentive for me to stay here and repay the money spent on me. There might not even be a job for me in the NHS when I qualify. They're very short of nurses in Oz. If I could take my family and friends with me, I would be off like a shot.

6 comments:

Meredith Soames said...

I wonder the same thing sometimes. Maybe it's because we are getting older and turning into our parents, just like we vowed never to do.

I went overseas for 6 months in 1993 and never moved back. I would like to, but my old neighbourhood has changed into an urban dump. There's also the small matter of needing a king's ransom to put a roof over my head.

Meredith Soames said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
specky6eyes said...

I live in a fairly good area, but only through renting from a housing association. I could never afford to buy. How far overseas did you go? I've already checked how many points I'll have for Oz and NZ after I've qualified!

Meredith Soames said...

Philadelphia. Plenty of bullet wounds requiring patching around here!

I must have left the UK just as Nursing became a degree level subject. I remember the days of low paid student nurses back in the 80s.

The US has many foreign born nurses attracted by the pay and conditions. The cost of obtaining a nursing degree is high in the US hence the reasonable wages, though comparatively, nursing and teaching rank low in pay when measured against other professional careers.

specky6eyes said...

Nurses' wages have improved here in recent years, but again, are low compared with other professions. I doubt that many of us go into it for the money though! I have never considered working in the US because despite having a degree, I would have to study for and sit an extra exam; the NCLEX. Apart from the cost, when I qualify the last thing I'll want to do is more exams! Saying that, the US does have excellent hospitals. Don't you have to part with your credit card before entering one as a patient though?!

Meredith Soames said...

Good evening Specky,
Theere is certainly plenty of cash floating around US hospitals and waiting lists are virtually unheard of if you have health insurance, which runs from zero to 300 pounds a month depending upon who you work for, who your spuse works for, where you live etc.

The actual care and treatment one receives in a US hospital isn't necessarily better than a European hospital, but you certainly are treated a lot quicker, which is half the battle I suppose.