Wednesday 18 April 2007

The human race

I've just noticed what I've called this blog, and of course it's purely subjective. You might think it is bollocks; you're entitled to your opinion. What I meant to portray is that I'm going to try not to fill it with all of the whining, self-indulgent crap I put in the last one.
The whole world is full of bollocks and crap right now anyway. I try not to watch the news too much, apart from updates on Alan Johnston of course. There are many terrible things happening. Kidnapping foreign journalists (Alan being the latest in a fairly long line), blowing up innocent people (Baghdad), shooting innocent people (Virginia), the situation in Darfur, to name but a few. The list goes on and on. We as people ought to hang our heads in shame for the atrocities we are capable of. What would it take to get us all to get along a bit more than we are doing? There are too many people vying for power over others, too many who aren't concerned with who they hurt just to get what they want, or to impose their ideologies on others. Some dress it up as religion. I'm not totally against religion; it has done some good things in the past, mainly for small communities, but on a larger scale has caused more problems and is more trouble than it is worth. And I'm not singling out a single religion; most have been guilty of terrible acts at various points in history. Islam has kind, peace-loving, caring ideologies, but a few choose to interpret it differently and use it for their own gains. The behaviour of Christians in the past has been terrible; just read about what was done during the Crusades in the name of God. Catholicism has a past steeped in mystery, secret financial dealings, and intimidation.
I am not an expert on religion and culture; this is just what I see. It scares me how much intolerance and hatred religion causes. We are all people, we all bleed red stuff. We all hurt, we all laugh, we all cry. We are one and the same, despite colour, culture, country of origin. Yet we treat each other dreadfully. We don't care. We should embrace difference and notice how it can enrich us as a species.
It's not going to happen of course. We are who we are. I just thought I'd let you know why I'm not watching / listening to the news as much as I used to. I just want something good to happen.

No comments: